What is Bioremediation?
Bioremediation is a method for using the activities of microorganisms and-or plants to transform organic or inorganic compounds that may be harmful to humans, animals, plants or the environment to compounds that are less harmful.
One of the major concerns to mankind today is safeguarding the natural resources and environment, ultimately the mother earth. In the past few years, there has been a rapid increase in industrialization, extensive agricultural practices, pollution, etc. leading to a threat to human life.
For example, in 1989, thousands of metric tons spell of crude oil in Alaska, led to a massive loss in marine life as well as several long-term environmental impacts. Minor oil spills and non-point oil contamination are no fewer threats to public health, biodiversity, and the environment.
- Why Is 70% IPA a Better Disinfectant than other concentrations?
- What is the fumigation and fogging?
- What is viable and nonviable Particle Count?
- What is Disinfectants and Mode of Action of Disinfection solution?
- Scope for Science Graduate & Post Graduate
But on the other hand, scientists around the world have been working to find a way to treat these problems in an eco-friendly manner. And here comes the concept of Bioremediation with the ultimate goal of restoring the polluted environment by natural means. It is an innovative technology, there is great interest in research and development as well as actual applications.
In simple terms, Bioremediation is a technology that makes the use of microorganisms to enact environmental pollutants. It ultimately exploits the ability of the indigenous microorganisms in the soil, air, etc as well as the exogenous microorganisms leading to the biodegradation or rather destruction of the contaminants.
Pollutants may include agrochemicals, dyes, heavy metals, hydrocarbons, nuclear waste, plastics, sewage, etc. and likewise the process of removal depends on the nature of a particular pollutant.
Going further bioremediation can be categorized as :
- Ex situ bioremediation
- In situ bioremediation
Ex-situ involves disinterring pollutants from the polluted sites and then transporting them to another site for treatment which may include techniques like land treatment, slurry phase, composting, etc.
In-situ involves treating the pollutants the site of pollution itself rather than transporting them to the treatment site and this includes the techniques like bioventing, biosparging, phytoremediation, etc.
Although a lot of advancements have been done in bioremediation techniques, yet few limitations can come up while solving this challenge of cleaning the pollutants in an eco-friendly manner, for e.g. microbe often cannot establish a niche in the environment, soil permeability is one of the
concern, very high containment levels can be toxic to microbes and so on.
Nevertheless, this technology (combines basic microbiology, advanced biotechnology, and environmental engineering) has given a way to treat the pollutant by natural process and also this may lead to the complete destruction of the target pollutant onsite. In addition to this, the technique is less expensive as compared to other physicochemical treatment methods.
Hopefully, we can pave our way towards a better world for the subsequent generations!
By ANAGHA PISAL (MSc. Biotechnology)
Visitor can Also Read:
- Strides Pharma Lookings for Interns for Sales/Marketing
- Urgent Requirement Freshers B.Pharm/ M.Pharm and M.Sc Microbiology
- Credo Life is Hiring For Production, Formulation R & D, Analytical Development
- Biocon Biologics Walk-in Drive at Bengaluru
- Urgent Requirement For The Post Of Quality Control Microbiologist
- Urgent Opening for General Plant Manager for Pharmaceutical
- Common Pharma Abbreviations
- Medreich Limited Bangalore Walk-In-Interview For Production
- Jubilant Generics Walk-In-Interview For IPQA, QC, Production
- Aurigene Pharma Walk-In-Interview For Research Associate at R&D
- Ganpat University Hiring Faculty for All Departments
- Amneal Pharmaceuticals Hiring for Regulatory Affairs at Ahmedabad
- Biocon Walk-in Drive at Bengaluru For Production, Packing, Instrumentation
- Biocon Walk-In-Interview at Bangalore
- Bharat Parenterals Ltd Walk-In Interview For Multiple Position
- Alkem Labs Ltd Walk-In-Interview For All Departments
- Bharat Biotech Walk-In-Interview for Freshers
- Zydus Cadila Hiring For Multiple Position
- Troikaa Pharmaceutics Hiring For Multiple Position
- Urgent Recruitment for fresher’s M.Sc Microbiology, Biotechnology, Biochemistry and Chemistry, B.Pharm and M.Pharm
- Internship Opportunities at Biocon
- Amneal Walk in Interview for Ahmedabad Injectable unit
- Biocon Walk-In Interview at Goa For Different Position
- Biological E Limited Urgently Hiring For Pharma Division
- WALK – IN INTERVIEW For Zydus Biologics, Biotech Park Ahmedabad
- Biocon Bengaluru Walk-In Interview for Multiple Position
- Bioremediation : Promise for Eco-friendly enact|What is Bioremediation?
- Urgent requirement for Business Development Manager for Hyderabad, Mumbai and Gujarat Location.
- GENERAL PROCEDURE FOR PASSIVATION